Thu, Mar 03|
Kadampa Meditation Center North Carolina
Introduction to Foundation Program: In-depth Book Study
Teachings and discussion with modern Buddhist monk Gen Norbu
Time & Location
Mar 03, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM EST
Kadampa Meditation Center North Carolina, 528 East Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28203, USA
About the event
“By relying on the Foundation Program we can gradually increase our wisdom until it is completely mature, like a full moon.” - Ven. Geshe Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche
The Foundation Program (FP) provides an opportunity to deepen our understanding and experience of Buddhism through systematic study. If you are thinking about enrolling in this program, which meets on Thursdays, 6:00-8pm (1x/week attendance commitment), or if you are curious to hear what these classes are like, please join us for this introductory class.
In this introduction, our Resident Teacher, Gen Norbu, will explain the purpose, methodology, structure, and commitments of the Foundation Program. He will also lead a discussion about the question: What book will this class study next? If you are interested and want to start thinking about the various options, here are the five subjects and corresponding books that we will be considering:
• The Stages of the Path to Enlightenment, based on the commentary Joyful Path of Good Fortune
• Training the Mind, based on the commentary Universal Compassion
• Training the Mind, based on the commentary The New Eight Steps to Happiness
• The Heart Sutra, based on the commentary The New Heart of Wisdom
• Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life, based on the commentary Meaningful to Behold
1.To attend every class, unless there is a valid health, family, or work-related reason for missing.
2. To apply effort to memorize the condensed meaning of the book or section.
3. To prepare for and take the examination at the end of the book or section.
4. To attend at least one GP class or puja (such as Heart Jewel) at the center each week.